I just read a great safety article from Coserv Gas which discusses safety issues related to the use of natural gas. I wanted to pass them along since we are just starting to get cool in North Texas and now is the time that we are using our gas furnaces to keep warm. As residents of homes, we need to know the locations of the gas lines that are installed in our houses, so that we can ensure the safety of the lines by checking them on a regular basis.

Facts about natural gas:

  • it is not poisonous, but flammable
  • a leak combined with a spark can ignite
  • the smell of rotten eggs with natural gas comes from a chemical additive
  • a gas leak displaces oxygen-suffocation can occur
  • do not attempt to turn off the gas supply if you suspect a leak, leave immediately
  • do not do anything that might create a spark: for example; do not turn on a light, use a cell phone, light a cigarette, use a garage door opener, start your car’s engine
  • do not try to put out a gas-fueled fire-call 911 at a safe distance away

Make sure that your gas appliances are installed correctly so have them serviced, maintained and vented properly. This will ensure that the carbon monoxide gas vents outside. CO2 is very dangerous since it cannot be seen, smelled or tasted. Consider installing a CO2 detector in your home and check the batteries like you do on your smoke detectors-on a regular basis. If you think you have been exposed to a CO2, you might have flu-like symptoms and shortness of breath and fatigue. Stop using the appliance and leave the area right away. Get to a hospital and secure treatment, if necessary.

Thanks to CoServ for this valuable information. Visit their site: www.CoServ.com for additional details.


Be safe!