There are many ways for you to reduce some of the expenses of electricity at your home! It just take some discipline and a few tips to make a difference in what your monthly bill looks like. Try a couple this month and then a couple more each month after and see if your efforts are rewarded.
1. Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or higher, A 75 degree thermostat uses 18% more energy than a 78 degree setting.
2. Get a programmable thermostat and if you have one, use it! These devices if used properly, can save you up to $180 per year!
3. Use heavy duty electrical-load appliances in the early morning or late at night.
4. Your father was right when he said to turn the lights off when you left a room. So turn off all lights, appliances and computers when not in use.
5. Avoid using a screen saver on your monitor and turn off the monitor when not in use.
6. Caulk windows and doors to keep air from leaking in or out. Consider replacing your old windows with new energy-efficient windows.
7.When you buy new appliances or lighting, look for the Energystar label.
8. When washing clothing or using the dishwasher, make sure you have a full load. Clean the lint trap on your dryer after each use.
9.Replace the old style incandescent light bulbs with new energy efficient compact fluorescents or LED bulbs.
10.Wrap the tank of your water heater with an insulated “jacket” that you can find at most big box stores.
Look at the electricity bill this month, and try a couple of these ideas. Then look at the bill for the next month and see if you have made a difference in the amount that you used and consequently the amount you owe.