f you are interested in updating your home in a fiscally responsible way and still want to “go green” by using environmentally friendly products, there are some changes that you can afford to do for your home. These updates will add lifestyle value to your home by reducing the energy costs of running a home in addition to creating a healthier environment for your family and others who live inside the home.
The changes that are most affordable in today’s market are:
- Energy efficient appliances-most of the appliance manufacturer’s offer these today.
- Many of the finishes in the home such as cabinetry, countertops and flooring can be requested using sustainable or natural materials. Some of these are cork, bamboo, and stone.
- What about asking for high efficiency lighting? Not only are these an energy saver, but they are now now made in all styles and finishes.
- Many homeowners are concerned about higher water costs and are asking about water saving toilets, faucets, etc.
- If you would like better air quality in your home, ask your contractor about non-toxic and low VOC finishes. (VOC stands for Volatile Organic Compound)