In Texas, we don’t complete a full fledged winterizing process in the fall like our northern countertparts, and our tasks are a bit more mundane as well. But, since the holidays are also upon us, why not take a weekend in November to get ready for whatever wintery weather we may have both inside and outside of the home.
- Disconnect all hoses on the exterior of the home. I like to place a styrofoam cap over each of my hose bibs, just in case.
- Clean debris out your gutters.
- Inspect your garage door for proper operation or better yet, ask a pro to do it!
- If you have a water feature outside, shut it down and cover with a tarp in case if a freezw.
- Run your lawn mower out of gas before storing it away.
- Trim back any dead branches in your yard that may not hold up if icy weather approaches.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned by a pro.
- Carpet cleaning is perfect before the holidays and will get the house ready for guests.
- Service the HVAC and change out the filter.
- Add caulking to deficiencies in windows and weather stripping to gaps in doors.