You have surely heard the word, upcycling, in social media, from friends or on other media, but what exactly does it mean? According to the dictionary, it is:
“the reuse (discarded objects or material) in such a way as to create a product of a higher quality or value than the original”
So, if you like using your weekends scouring over garage sales, estate sales or heading to an antique mall, you might be able to locate items that you can “upcycle” for your home! Consider the following suggestions:
- If you locate an old French door that is in fairly good repair, you can scrape, paint and clean it and use it as a shower glass in your bathroom. See photo above.
- Find old globes to create a cool light fixture for a child’s bedroom.
- Old frames can be used for anything in the house and creates a vintage look when they are left in their orginal state.
- Old chests and cabinets can be made into new more utilitarian pieces by removing old drawers, adding, shelves, new hardware and paint.
- Take an old rickety ladder and create an amazing bedside table, see photo above.
All of these ideas and more, take an old object that someone is getting rid of or even throwing away, and making something even better out of it. All you need is a little imagination and creativity to make it happen.
For more cool ideas and a great blog and newsletter, check out: